Thursday 28 May 2015

Who said hip-hop was dead?

Art exhibitions in Paris are definitely one of the main reasons why I have enjoyed living here these past months. The numerousness of the city’s galleries and exhibition centres ensures that everyone’s tastes are catered for. Last weekend I went to check out the Hip-Hop: from the Bronx to Arabian streets exhibition at the Institut du Monde Arabe (IMA). 

Around the age of 17 or 18 (ancient history now) I was a total hip-hop fanatic; from the Wu-Tang Clan to Public Enemy to A Tribe Called Quest, it was all that was ever in my ears. I suppose some of that teenage aggression has mellowed in recent years, but the exhibition at the IMA succeeded in taking me on a rich and evocative trip down memory lane. 

The exhibition was created by Akheneton, lead rapper of the infamous Marseille group IAM, and takes us on a journey beginning in Brooklyn, New York with the embryonic stages of the hip-hop movement (the likes of the Sugarhill Gang feature heavily) and ending in the Middle East. With headphones available every few metres, it is an exceptional aural and visual experience. 

Whether you’re into the genre or not, I’d recommend getting down to the IMA to see this one. The ticket is pretty moderately priced at 6.80 euros for students. And if you’re enjoying the Arab vibe after the exhibition, you could always walk around the corner to La Grande Mosquée de Paris for a traditional Arab tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment